Sunday, August 11, 2013

Two New Books

My two books just arrived in the mail!!  Yahoo!  
While I was at common core training a few weeks ago, I heard about these books and knew I had to order them.  I'm just sorry I only a have a few days to look through them before I have to be back at school.
The first book is Notice and Note.  This book is great for explaining close reading.  It explains six specific strategies/signposts for close reading and gives anchor questions to accompany each strategy.  Specific examples of lessons for six strategies and excerpts of classroom conversations are also included.
I can't wait to dive into this book and then incorporate the strategies in my classroom!


The second book is The Common Core Guidebook: Informational 
Text Lessons.  This book has lessons for the nine nonfiction reading standards.  It begins with explaining how the standard differs in third, fourth, and fifth grade.  It then explains how to introduce the standard and gives specific ideas on how to model strategies in the classroom.  Anchor charts, graphic organizers, and recommended text lists are included for each standard.  A bit pricey?  Maybe.  Something you can take and directly use in your classroom?  Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment